Today I made some homemade tacos. I loooooove tacos and used to just make the Old El Paso boxed ones (filled with sodium). So,I started searching for some taco recipes on pinterest. Most healthy taco recipes suggest putting everything into lettuce wraps but I found a recipe that uses corn tortillas. Corn tortillas are made from only corn and water so its wheat free and super healthy/yummy.
I took the recipe from Yummy Healthy Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef (i used lean ground beef like she suggested but for a healthier option you could use ground turkey or lean chicken breast and if you are vegetarian just use veggies)
- 1 tsp. salt (I skipped this part)
- corn tortillas (about 8-10)
- toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese, avocado, red peppers, corn sour cream, etc.
- Heat oil over large skillet over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about five minutes. Stir in tomato paste and chili powder. Add ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon until cooked through. Add salt and stir to combine.
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray (I used coconut oil here instead) Place a corn tortilla on skillet and heat, flipping over once golden and toasted. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Fill insides of heated corn tortillas with meat mixture and add any toppings desired. Serve and enjoy!
I added a bit of cheese on top and fat free sour cream… so yummmmmy!